If my child were required by law to observe a moment of prayer or reflection, I would also object. One does not have to be an atheist to respect the value of the church and state remaining separate. My problem with the Illinois law is the mandate. A child should not be ordered to pray or reflect. A publicly funded school should play no role in influencing a child's religious beliefs, or lack thereof. The social pressure placed on non-participants in prayer or reflection would have the effect of differentiating or isolating some students. I do not have a problem with prayers or moments of silence, but let the students organize it. A state mandate is unconstitutional, and should be.
I also believe that the freedom of expression includes the freedom not to express what everyone else expresses. I believe that no school has the right to force a child to pledge allegiance, regardless of whether the refusal is on religious grounds or not. The Court's position should be consistent, regardless of whether an objection comes from a Christian, Muslim, Jehovah's Witness, or atheist. Compelling students to respect national symbols is dangerous. Students should respect the principles, values and history of this country, but cannot be forced to do so.
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm wondering is anyone disagrees with your commentary about the pledge and the idea of not forcing anyone to respect national symbols. Do a little research if you have some time on our USA flag and the burning of it...thoughts?
ReplyDeleteI'm sure a few people would disagree. But the Supreme Court has upheld (Texas v. Johnson, 1989) the right to burn a flag as free speech. I have more respect for my country than to ever do that, but I do not think we should burn someone at the stake for burning a flag.
ReplyDeleteIf you think about it, if we are not taught to respect our national symbols, then burning or defacing them would have no meaning. Granted, that is not a reason to learn to respect our symbols, but does it not show their power? They represent our heritage, our history, and all the sacrifices made by so many to build our nation. They give us roots to the past and help embody what we hope will be the future of our country.
ReplyDeleteLearning about our national symbols and learning to respect them for what they represent is the very thing that allows someone who feels so strongly about his country to burn those symbols in protest of his homeland's actions.
It is very powerful speech, and it is all based on having learned respect and importance.